[tor-relays] Estimating the value and cost of the Tor network

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Tue Sep 23 23:11:37 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I would like to put together some estimates on bounds of the current
value and cost of the capacity of the Tor network as it is, and use that
to generate some rough guestimates on what it would cost to grow it
(assuming we solved all the complicated problems with respect to
maintaining diversity and operator incentives).

In order to make these estimates, I need some people to tell me:
 1. Your node identity fingerprints.
 2. How these fingerprints map to hardware, CPU cores, and uplink.
 3. How much you are paying for this uplink per month.

If you are paying less than market rate because of a friendly ISP,
ideally you would also tell me what the standard market rate is at that
ISP.

If you have multiple nodes at multiple datacenters, please break these
costs and fingerprints out individually rather than telling me aggregate
information.

I'd most like to hear from people who are doing the recommended
best-practice of running one Tor process instance per CPU core, are
paying for dedicated uplink at around 100Mbit/sec or higher at a
datacenter, and who are not CPU bound on any of their Tor processes. If
this does not apply to you, I'd still like to hear from you, but please
tell me these details of your setup.

Exit node data is most useful, but I am happy to hear about non-exits
too. I suspect they may be much cheaper on average, and getting some
data on this is also important. Unfortunately, bridges are not that
useful at this time.

You do not need to send this information publicly to the list. I am
happy to receive it privately via GPG. My GPG key id is
0x29846B3C683686CC, and that key signs all of my mail to all torproject
lists. You can get it here:
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x29846B3C683686CC

--
Mike Perry