[tor-relays] Correctly setting up arm

Chris Whittleston csw34 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 22 21:37:37 UTC 2014

Haha - yes I am indeed running 0.2.5.6, that would explain the cookie
issue.

It seems that I've had a GPG key issue which has stopped me updating to
0.2.5.7-rc previously, but I've just noticed the new instructions here:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en#ubuntu

It looks like installing deb.torproject.org-keyring will help prevent those
issues in the future.

I'll update my Pi relay tutorial with this and the updated arm instructions

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bf_D_j1O-9ckTS9DY8ngIdiFwHta6Q5Uj_5dvOiavCQ/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks again both,

Chris

On 22 September 2014 22:15, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 09:34:40PM +0100, Chris Whittleston wrote:
> > Previously, I've run arm using 'sudo -u debian-tor arm'. As was mentioned
> > here previously, this is not how you should run it - in fact there is a
> bit
> > of documentation to suggest how it should be done.
>
> Yep. See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/10700
> for the discussion.
>
> > Unfortunately I'm having
> > some issues getting arm working correctly as described here in step 14:
> >
> > https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-relay-debian.html.en#after
> >
> > Having added my user (pi) to the debian-tor group, I try to run 'arm' and
> > get the following:
> >
> > Failed to read authentication cookie (permission denied):
> > /var/run/tor/control.authcookie
>
> What Tor version are you using? There was a bug in Tor 0.2.5.1-alpha
> through 0.2.5.6-alpha that broke cookie auth for this situation:
> It is fixed in 0.2.5.7-rc.
>
> > I've tried reinstalling arm, relogged and checked that I'm in the right
> > group still using 'groups' (which I am) - no joy.
> >
> > CookieAuthentication wasn't initially enabled, turning it on makes no
> > difference, I get the same error.
>
> As Grace pointed out, torrc isn't the only config file that your
> Tor deb uses.
>
> > Am I missing something when it comes to setting up CookieAuthentication?
> > guess I must be...although it seems strange that I was getting that error
> > even with CookieAuthentication disabled.
>
> If the Tor version hint doesn't do it for you, I'm not sure what the
> next step is. Hopefully it does. :)
>
> --Roger

*Dr Chris Whittleston 栗主*
Department of Chemistry