[tor-relays] Correctly setting up arm

Chris Whittleston csw34 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 22 20:34:40 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Previously, I've run arm using 'sudo -u debian-tor arm'. As was mentioned
here previously, this is not how you should run it - in fact there is a bit
of documentation to suggest how it should be done. Unfortunately I'm having
some issues getting arm working correctly as described here in step 14:

https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-relay-debian.html.en#after

Having added my user (pi) to the debian-tor group, I try to run 'arm' and
get the following:

Failed to read authentication cookie (permission denied):
/var/run/tor/control.authcookie

I've tried reinstalling arm, relogged and checked that I'm in the right
group still using 'groups' (which I am) - no joy.

I've checked my torrc and found the following lines:

## If you enable the controlport, be sure to enable one of these
## authentication methods, to prevent attackers from accessing it.
#HashedControlPassword
16:872860B76453A77D60CA2BB8C1A7042072093276A3D701AD684053EC4C
#CookieAuthentication 1

CookieAuthentication wasn't initially enabled, turning it on makes no
difference, I get the same error.

I am able to get it working when setting up HashedControlPassword by
generating a has using tor --hash-password <password> and editing torrc
accordingly.

Am I missing something when it comes to setting up CookieAuthentication? I
guess I must be...although it seems strange that I was getting that error
even with CookieAuthentication disabled.

Any insight appreciated :)

Chris

--
*Dr Chris Whittleston 栗主*