[tor-relays] Mac OS X configuration problem(s)

Surf Norway surfnorway at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 16:02:56 UTC 2014

I've installed the tor package via homebrew, and cofigured
/usr/local/etc/tor/torrc according to the documentation.

My problem is that every time I try to use launchctl I get an error,
both as an admin user and via sudo.

As an admin user:

Could not open job overrides database at:
/private/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd.peruser.502/overrides.plist:
13: Permission denied
launch_msg(): Socket is not connected

When run via sudo it complains about "dubious owbership on file" and
says "nothing found to load".

I followed whatever documentation I could find. The torrc config is on
torproject.org under "configuring a relay graphically" (I know this
isn't graphically), the homebrew info is linked to in the same article
and looks to be from a mailing list discussion.

I wanted to set up a simple relay to run automatically when the (OS X)
machine boots. It's a home server on a 30MB/sec symmetrical fiber
line. Since I run the machine as a file server anyway, I figured I
could allocate some bandwidth and help support the community.

Thanks,
Surf Norway