[tor-relays] RELAY_EARLY tor network update status (CVE-2014-5117)

Sebastian Urbach sebastian at urbach.org
Thu Sep 18 22:03:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

I just opened a ticket.

I have checked the whois records for the IP addresses of the outdated
relays which you earlier advised and found their providers. Opened
support requests and sent them a message.

Records were as follows:
93.174.90.30 support at ecatel.info noc at ecatel.info

82.165.197.129 support at 1and1.com support at 1and1.com

91.205.172.16 SUPPORT at CONTABO.DE

These 2 are in online.net network where they don't provide an email
address, you need account registered with them to contact them. Maybe
someone with account there can open a ticket and send the draft letter
provided below?

IPs of Online.net relays which need contacted (to include so they will
know which customers to notify):
195.154.243.53
195.154.226.66

Dear Provider,

I am a Tor supporter (www.torproject.org). I contact you with a request:

I have identified your customer with IP address <IP> runnig a Tor
relay to help the network (very nice) but unfortunately running an
outdated version for which we have a security CVE and there is a patch
available. Latest Tor release is 0.2.4.23 and your customer needs to
upgrade to this one. Patching the relay is a good practice which will
make the network safer. The bug discovered IS NOT CRITICAL so there
are no serious security threats (no cause to panic), but updating is
always better.

The reason I am contacting you (the provider) is that your customer
has not provided valid contact information in his Tor relay settings.
Can you please kindly forward this notification to your customer and
confirm that it was done? It is in the benefit of everyone, so it
won't get anyone annoyed.

I am sending you this message as an individual Tor supporter and not
on behalf of Torproject.org to which I am in no way related other than
supporting the network as a volunteer.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation and sorry for the approach
but I have no other way to reach your customer.

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/D1271A1E15C568DA709D3A1E68188EEAE8DDB834

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/1B9FACF25E17D26E307EA7CFA7D455B144B032E5

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/379FB450010D17078B3766C2273303C358C3A442

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/B83DC1558F0D34353BB992EF93AFEAFDB226A73E
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/104A9453FD93BDBEAE9E2024898266AD2051A1BD

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/C11650E31F83E149C855D574B3171CC9CF9BEE19

- --
s7r
PGP Fingerprint: 7C36 9232 5ABD FB0B 3021 03F1 837F A52C 8126 5B11