[tor-relays] Port-Based Best-Fit Circuit Selection

Paritesh Boyeyoko parity.boy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 01:35:01 UTC 2014

Hello --

First of all, let me apologise if this has been covered before on this list.

A couple years ago I took more than a passing interest in Tor and decided to run a non-exit
relay on a VPS, which lasted until an upstream provider complained.  I've recently set up another
one, and while it settles into the network, it got me thinking about utilization.  Much has been
made of the fact that Tor is circuit-based rather than packet-based, and also of the fact that
faster relays attract more traffic.

So, I was thinking that in the same way that Tor relays have port-based exit policies, could they not
also have port-based entrance policies?  In other words, cause deliberate selection of a "slow" path
based on the protocol intended to be used.  So for example, HTTP would favour faster circuits, while
the likes of email (POP, IMAP, SMTP), XMPP and IRC would favour slower circuits (being mostly text-based).

Perhaps the entrance policies could be maintained on-network (perhaps with "authority servers", with
clients downloading the policies when they start up, rather than having them hard coded or configured
client-side?

Just some ideas. :)

Best,
--