[tor-relays] IPv6 - status

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Fri Sep 12 07:15:09 UTC 2014

Marcin Gondek <drixter at e-utp.net> wrote
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 16:58:49 +0000:

| Hi,
|
| What is the current state of IPv6?
|
| ==cut==
| Relays to relays
|
| Relays talk to other relays. The work with relays talking to other
| relays over IPv6 has not been started.
| ==cut==
|
| Is there any plans to start? How I can help?

No plans that I'm aware of. If you know C you can prepare a patch, run
it in a Chutney test network and post it on #4565 [0].

| ==cut==
| Directory authorities on IPv6
|
| Clients and relays talk to directory authorities. The work with making
| directory authorities reachable over IPv6 has not been started.
|
| This work will be tracked in #6027.
| ==cut==
|
| Same as above?

Seems like Nick has a patch, see the ticket.

| Clue is when it will be possible to run pure IPv6 relay/guard.

We need "a substantial amount" of relays being able to make outgoing
IPv6 connections and successfully publishing an IPv6 ORPort before we
can allow relays to publish _only_ an IPv6 ORPort.

For guards, a client connecting over IPv6 needs a large enough set of
guards to choose from. Today that number is 127 [1] (about 8%). What a
large enough set is I don't know, but I'd say we're not there yet.

For middle relays, the anonymity set is limited to the number of guards
with IPv6 connectivity -- only these can connect to IPv6-only middle
relays. This figure is harder to estimate.

For exit relays, the reasoning is similar to the one for middle relays.

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4565
[1] cat cached-consensus | awk '/^r /{r=$0; a=""}/^a /{a=$0}/^s .*Guard/{if (a) print r, a}' | wc -l