[tor-relays] Understanding Reduced Exit Policies..?

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gna.org
Fri Sep 12 05:15:50 UTC 2014

On 12/09/14 15:02, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've setup a non-exit node so that I can contribute and understand the
> TOR network somewhat better. I've only had my node (jolexarelay1) up
> for a few weeks so it is still becoming a part of the network at guard
> status. So, as I understand my ISP, I can run an exit node if I
> "handle" abuse complaints to their standards. Now, since I have more
> idle bandwidth than idle time to "handle" complaints, I've often
> wondered about the reduced exit node strategy as seen at
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReducedExitPolicy -
> I'd like to allow ports in a methodical fashion such that I can test
> to see if a port generates complaints easily/quickly.

Hi Jeremy,

I received abuse complaints because some "bad" guys used HTTP (forum
insults) and SSH (scanners) for example. I'm not sure how useful a tor
exit node will be if you block http, https and ssh.

As soon as I told my hoster that I run a tor exit node, i stopped
receiving these complaints, I'm sure this is not a coincidence.

> My question: If I want to "try" being an exit node and add allowed
> exit ports slowly, does that help the network or not? For example,
> month 1: allow port 22, month 2: allow IRC ports, and so-on. How does
> the client path selection work in this case - is it smart enough to
> pick my exit when needed?

I think this is how tor work, if you request a connection on port XYZ it
will select nodes that allow it.

Chris