[tor-relays] Understanding Reduced Exit Policies..?

Jeremy Olexa jolexa at jolexa.net
Fri Sep 12 03:02:26 UTC 2014

Hello,

I've setup a non-exit node so that I can contribute and understand the
TOR network somewhat better. I've only had my node (jolexarelay1) up
for a few weeks so it is still becoming a part of the network at guard
status. So, as I understand my ISP, I can run an exit node if I
"handle" abuse complaints to their standards. Now, since I have more
idle bandwidth than idle time to "handle" complaints, I've often
wondered about the reduced exit node strategy as seen at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReducedExitPolicy -
I'd like to allow ports in a methodical fashion such that I can test
to see if a port generates complaints easily/quickly.

My question: If I want to "try" being an exit node and add allowed
exit ports slowly, does that help the network or not? For example,
month 1: allow port 22, month 2: allow IRC ports, and so-on. How does
the client path selection work in this case - is it smart enough to
pick my exit when needed?

Thanks for any insight,
Jeremy