[tor-relays] request at Hetzner

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Wed Sep 10 21:05:39 UTC 2014

On 09/10/2014 09:07 PM, Toralf Förster wrote:
> This is what I get few days ago from Hetzer Support:
>> Guten Tag Herr Förster,
>> [...]
> Maybe worth to update https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs ?

Hetzner is already listed as both good and bad. You're invited to add
your statement (it's a wiki!), but it is nearly a dupe of what is
already quoted there.

> =========
> I'm planning to setup there a dedicated server now soon (with Gentoo Linux
> if possible) within next days - or are there too much servers already
> at the ISP Hetzner ?

https://compass.torproject.org/ , enter AS24940, and select "group by
AS": 6.5% advertised bandwidth, 8.5% Guard probability, 10.5% Middle
probability, 2.0485% Exit probability.

When you just group by AS, Hetzner is third in bandwidth and 13th in
exit probability.

Overall, I would strongly suggest a different provider, but there is no
groud truth on how much bandwidth any ISP (or country) should see.

> And for the following days I do want put the line
> "ExitPolicy reject *:*"
> before all subsequent liens like
> "ExitPolicy accept *:20-23     # FTP, SSH, telnet"
>
> of the reduced exit policy to just look how the system behaves
> as a simply relay. Worth or superflous ?

It takes quite long for a relay to reach a stable state, as it will take
time to be picked as Guard by enough clients. See
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay for more
details. You can of course change exit policy whenever you like, but to
better be able to see the effect it takes several weeks in each phase.

> Am I right, that later just commenting out that reject line enhance
> the Tor server from relay to "relay + exit node" ?

Yes, this should work.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/