[tor-relays] exit relay not utilising full capacity (even after months)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Wed Oct 29 09:15:23 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-29 09:41, Rejo Zenger wrote:
[..]
>  - So, the question is: why is it so much slower maximising the full
>    bandwidth? The configuration from mid-July onwards is identical to
>    the one in April. The only thing that has changed is in mid-August,
>    when I moved to relay into a LXC container. However, that doesn't
>    explain the slow pickup in mid-July to mid-August.

Note that LXC likely does not give you the security properties that you
expect.

issue this in your container to shutdown the host:
echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

There is a bug open on this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxc/+bug/645625

>  - And yes, I am aware of the Roger's blogpost. That does explain why
>    the node may be slow to pick up traffic, but it doesn't explain why
>    it was a lot faster in doing so in April then in mid-July.

There are some weird properties in trying to do full-bandwidth.
Deterministic it for sure is not.

The IP is not mentioned in atlas:
https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/94.142.240.243

Nor in: https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/

Though there is:
https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=aa0d167e03e298f9a8cd50f448b81fbd7fa80d56

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/AA0D167E03E298F9A8CD50F448B81FBD7FA80D56

Is "Tor 0.2.5.9-rc" not outdated? You might be missing some features there.

I see similar issues with other nodes btw, eg:
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/BDB26EF60A419089CA3AA0891AF1681455285D48

Though that is not an exit, which gives it a completely different metric.

Are you also sure that coloclue likes you playing exit? (I can only
assume so ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen