[tor-relays] Tor 0.2.5.10 is released!

Michael Kelly m at michaelkelly.org
Sun Oct 26 18:21:03 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 06:48 AM, s7r wrote:

> On 10/26/2014 9:06 AM, goll wrote:
> >> Which package exactly? I'm guessing you're using the deb? Which
> >> OS? What CPU architecture?
> >
> > No, using the rpm, CentOS 6, x86_64.
> >

> >> The next question would be whether you somehow disabled your
> >> curve25519 support -- but I don't know how to easily check that
> >> with the deb.
> >>

> > Found this link. could it be distribution related?
> > http://www.denniswinter.de/compiling-tor-crashes-on-centos-at-curve25519-donna/
> >
> >  And also, I'm running my system in FIPS mode, but that shouldn't
> > impact curve25519, it's mainly to disable insecure algorithms like
> > md5.
> >
> > br
> >

> Please note that CentOS is using the OpenSSL custom version from their
> upstream distro which is Red Hat Enterprise. Red Hat strips some
> things from the ordinary OpenSSL package we use in Debian, including
> some curves. I don't know about curve25519 especially, since I am on
> Debian and FreeBSD mostly, but I know for sure that CentOS lacks some
> EC curves. I have tried to configure a bitcoin wallet on CentOS 7 few
> months ago and I couldn't install it as it comes 'out of the box'
> because it was missing the curve bitcoin requires to perform ECDSA.
>
> Does this help?
>
> There has to be someone else running a Tor relay on CentOS here, maybe
> we can hear from them how their relays are performing.
[...]

Hi,

I'm also running a relay on CentOS 6.5 on x86_64, with tor installed
from the rpm. My logs also show 0 NTor handshakes since I upgraded to
0.2.5.9-rc (and later to 0.2.5.10).

I just tried compiling 0.2.5.10 (giving configure --enable_curve25519),
and it compiled successfully, and 'make test' showed it passing a series
of curve25519 tests. I'll probably try running the version I compiled
and check the NTor counts on that one.

Cheers,
--
Michael