[tor-relays] exit node experience: abuse over HTTP, stealrat infection

Manuel Gebauer manuel at myops.de
Mon Oct 20 23:58:58 UTC 2014

Thanks, Rejo (and others) for elucidating the point. I now get
your line of thought.

I learned that the qualification "not select or modify" acually IS
present in German law. § 8 TMG says, that the service provider is
not responsible in so far as he did not "chose or modify" the
transmitted information.

Although, the greater risk in my opinion, comes from the question
if tor operators can be seen as service providers who would be
exempt from responsibility for transmitted information under the
term of this law. There's no precedence to my knowledge, but
private wireless APs are in fact not exempt from responsibility.
I'd rather pessimistically guess that most courts would judge tor
operators in analogy to people operating private open wireless
access points ...