[tor-relays] exit node experience: abuse over HTTP, stealrat infection

Toralf Förster toralf.foerster at gmx.de
Sun Oct 19 14:14:47 UTC 2014

On 10/19/2014 01:24 PM, Kees Goossens wrote:
> Lesson (for me at least): since HTTP was used, even a very reduced exit
> policy is does not make one immune to abuse problems.
> At this point I reverted back to being a non-exit relay, as I have no
> interest in having to deal with this.

Well, no need to give up - I made similar experiences with the reduced exit policy. Even then my provider's inbox was hammered with DMCA mails.
But what worked (for me) is a further reduced policy containing ports below 1024 + few above. Said that this works for me till now:

#   un-comment the next line to disallow exits
#
#ExitPolicy reject *:*

#   abuse mails
#
ExitPolicy reject 217.112.0.0/16:*      # AbuseID:11F39E:22  7th October 2014

#   allowed exits
#
ExitPolicy accept *:43      # whois
ExitPolicy accept *:53      # dns
ExitPolicy accept *:80      # http
ExitPolicy accept *:88      # kerberos
ExitPolicy accept *:110     # pop3
ExitPolicy accept *:143     # imap
ExitPolicy accept *:194     # irc
ExitPolicy accept *:220     # imap3
ExitPolicy accept *:389     # ldap
ExitPolicy accept *:443     # http ssl
ExitPolicy accept *:464     # kpasswd
ExitPolicy accept *:543-544 # kerberos
ExitPolicy accept *:531     # irc/aim
ExitPolicy accept *:563     # nntp ssl
ExitPolicy accept *:636     # ldap ssl
ExitPolicy accept *:749     # kerberos
ExitPolicy accept *:873     # rsync
ExitPolicy accept *:993     # imap ssl
ExitPolicy accept *:994     # irc  ssl
ExitPolicy accept *:995     # pop3 ssl
ExitPolicy accept *:6660-6669   # irc
ExitPolicy accept *:6679    # irc ssl
ExitPolicy accept *:6697    # irc ssl
ExitPolicy accept *:11371   # OpenPGP hkp

#   reject everyting else
#
ExitPolicy reject *:*

--