[tor-relays] Anonbox Project

Thomas White thomaswhite at riseup.net
Wed Oct 15 18:07:11 UTC 2014

I understand the approach of this, but it again reverts back to the
problem of people believing a product will provide them reasonable
protection without the responsibility of having to take measures
themselves. There are stories everyday in the newspapers who think
using a fake name on Facebook is enough to stop police tracking the
actions of that account to them.

As in the other reply to this message, the hardware isn't open source
and there has been a critique posted below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/2j9caq/anonabox_tor_router_box_is_false_representation

Well intentioned, but as many before me have highlighted; good
intentions is not enough if the product does not provide true
security. Tor is a technology like many things, but I feel this
product is out to make a buck from open source software while
under-delivering on it's promises by providing an inferior product.
How many more times do we need people to be put off Tor because
somebody makes a crap implementation and a headline follows with the
usual "TOR IS BROKEN"?

The money in that kickstarter is proof there is cash to fund such
things, but it is now in the hands of people riding the wave following
the NSA fallout in hope for profit and not actual innovation.

- -T