[tor-relays] My relay hibernated unexpectedly

Derric Atzrott datzrott at alizeepathology.com
Fri Oct 3 12:51:46 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I recently set up the relay zelltor.  I just got a notification that it went
down about 10 hours ago.  From what I can tell it looks like it decided to
hibernate and that it will be hibernating for the rest of the month.  I think
I may have configured something wrong because this was rather unexpected.  I
want it to hibernate at a certain point, but I do not think its reached that
threshold yet.

Arm tells me:
  Accounting (hard)
    15 MB / 250 GB
    598 KB / 250 GB
  Time to reset: 31:02:20:23

I have the following configured in torrc:
  AccountingMax: 250 GB
  AccountingStart: month 3 15:00

Tor's log files:
  [notice] Configured hibernation. This interval began 2014-10-03 15:00:00; the
           scheduled wake-up time is 2014-10-03 15:00:00; we expect to exhaust
           our quota for this interval around 2014-11-03 15:00:00 (all times
           local)
  [notice] Commencing hibernation. We will wake up at 2014-10-03 15:00:00
           local time.
  [notice] Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 3 days 12:00 hours, with 0 circuits
           open. I've sent 6.08 GB and received 6.08 GB. We are currently
           hibernating.
  [notice] TLS write overhead: 6%
  [notice] Circuit handshake stats since last time: 2039/2039 TAP, 753/753 NTor.
  [warn]   eventdns: Address mismatch on received DNS packet. Apparent source
           was 216.69.185.43:53
  [notice] Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 3 days 18:00 hours, with 0 circuits open.
           I've sent 6.08 GB and received 6.08 GB. We are currently hibernating.
  [notice] TLS write overhead: 6%
  [notice] New control connection opened.

Note: I stripped the timestamps out because I am viewing these on a different
computer and had to retype them.

My ISP caps me at 500 GB up+down data per month, which is why I've capped it at
250 GB.  I was planning to adjust that down a little bit as needed when my next
month's bill came in and I got to see how much overhead Tor produces above
the 500 GB cpa.  Clearly I've come nowhere close to that though, so I don't
think my node should be hibernating yet...

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Derric Atzrott