[tor-relays] Fast Exit Node Operators - ISP in US

Niklas Kielblock niklas at spiderschwe.in
Fri Nov 28 02:12:45 UTC 2014

On 28/11/2014 02:54, Syrup-tan wrote:
> Turns out the colocation costs $672/year for the network, and another
> $780/year for power, so I don’t think Voxility is very feasible for an
> exit node without bargaining with them.

This isn't all that expensive for colo; it's just not on the bargain end
either. Very few providers are able to offer high bandwidths at
forgettable cost. And colocation is not very price-efficient if you're
looking to house a single midrange server - providers buy their
dedicated servers in bulk, count on reselling old hosts and have less
management overhead with their homogenous infrastructure, and those cost
savings trickle down to their customers.

>> If anyone knows of a good way of finding high-bandwidth budget
>> dedicated servers (a search term or a list of providers, for example),
>> please share. I expected there to be more of a market for this kind of
>> thing than I've found.
>
> I recently rented a dedi from Online.net
> <http://Online.net> (http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc)
> which offers unmetered b/w, but I’ve heard bad things about the network.
> I’ll do some testing this weekend on whether or not I can get the full
> 150Mb/s link.

Online S.A.S. used to have a poor network, but they recently (some
months ago, I think) got a new datacenter that seems to fare much
better; this is also when they stopped restricting Tor nodes in their
ToS. I'm speculating that any reports of poor network performance since
then are from customers on their cheapest servers, which are equipped
with VIA Nano CPUs and probably aren't able to sustain high network
throughput in many cases.

That said, Online's network has several dozen Tor relays already
(including mine, admittedly), more than any other network. Yet they have
stated they do not like Tor (see the GoodBadISPs page) and if you run an
exit they will kick you for receiving too many abuse complaints.