[tor-relays] Fast Exit Node Operators - ISP in US

Seth list at sysfu.com
Sun Nov 23 00:56:42 UTC 2014

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 16:35:18 -0800, I <beatthebastards at inbox.com> wrote:

> So USA can be fast and cheap but beware when they agree Tor is
> acceptable because there are poor trade practices laws to get refunds
> and rights.

FWIW I spun up a Tor exit node on VULTR. I pro-actively informed them I
was doing so by creating a support ticket with this text:

"Just giving you guys a heads up that I've setup a new Tor exit node.

It's using the ReducedExitPolicy detailed here:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReducedExitPolicy

The reduced exit policy has been successful in eliminating the vast
majority of DMCA complains according to this Tor blog post:

https://blog.torproject.org/running-exit-node

If there are any complaints about traffic from this node, please alert me
immediately so I can deal with them. I have a dedicated email setup for
this purpose at tor at sysfu.com.

Regards,
Seth"

The response was a simple "Thank you for the update."...so they seem
pretty cool about it.

If you look at https://torstatus.rueckgr.at/ you'll see a half dozen other
nodes running on VULTR.

The starter $5/mo size gets you 1000GB of bandwidth per month, can't beat
that with a stick.

Another thing I like about VULTR is that you can install your own custom
OS via an ISO or iPXE script. Also none of that fixed kernel nonsense I
dealt with at Digital Ocean. And they accept Bitcoin.

That fact that thousands of average joe sysadmins can now spin up a
powerful Tor relay or exit node, on the operating system of their choice,
for $5/mo payable in Bitcoin...I think that's a big deal.
--
Seth
I <3 nicely trimmed email replies