[tor-relays] building Tor against LibreSSL 2.1.1 fails with "undefined reference to `EVP_aes_128_ctr'" error

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 14:40:24 UTC 2014

> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 07:22:10 -0800
> From: Seth <list at sysfu.com>
>
> I'm trying to build tor-0.2.5.10 from source against LibreSSL 2.1.1 on a
> FreeBSD 9.3x jail system.
>
> It fails with this message
>
> -----------------------------------
>
>    CC       src/tools/tor-gencert.o
>    CCLD     src/tools/tor-gencert
> src/common/libor-crypto.a(aes.o): In function `aes_new_cipher':
> /usr/local/src/tor-0.2.5.10/src/common/aes.c:100: undefined reference to
> `EVP_aes_128_ctr'
> *** [src/tools/tor-gencert] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/local/src/tor-0.2.5.10.
> *** [all] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/local/src/tor-0.2.5.10.
>
> --------------------------------------
>
> Has anyone has any luck building Tor against LibreSSL?

Yes, on OS X, but it wasn't easy, and it didn't bootstrap for me due to SSL errors. Others have had more luck, but mostly on Linux AFAIK.

Do you perhaps have a system-installed OpenSSL 0.9.* which is lacking EVP_aes_128_ctr?

See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/13817 for a similar failure, due to the following issues:

configure --with-openssl-dir= detects the wrong bin/openssl if "$OPENSSL_DIR/bin/openssl" isn't in the path before all other openssl executables.
configure --enable-static-openssl requires LDFLAGS="$OPENSSL_DIR/lib":$LDFLAGS to link properly, at least on OS X.

If you do run into runtime SSL errors, see this bug:

teor
pgp 0xABFED1AC
hkp://pgp.mit.edu/
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5