[tor-relays] building Tor against LibreSSL 2.1.1 fails with "undefined reference to `EVP_aes_128_ctr'" error

Seth list at sysfu.com
Sat Nov 22 06:51:11 UTC 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:10:11 -0800, David Stainton
<dstainton415 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am also very interested in hearing from people who have built tor
> with LibreSSL...

If you want to try building a FreeBSD port using LibreSSL instead of
OpenSSL add this to /etc/make.conf

OPENSSL_PORT=security/libressl
WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes

> specifically I'd love it if someone worked out all the details to do
> this as a static build in OpenBSD.

Not sure about static builds, what's the benefit?

I do know OpenBSD 5.6 has LibreSSL baked in and it works with Tor. Just
install the tor package, edit /etc/tor/torrc and you're up and running.

Next time I stand up another relay or exit node on OpenBSD I think I'll
kick it up a notch with some chroot and/or systrace sauce.

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/OperationalSecurity#RunTorandOtherServicesinaRestrictedEnvironment

Am also interested in hearing any tips for minimizing data retention. I
thought about making a hardlink or symlink from /var/log to /dev/null, but
I have a feeling there's more to it than that.