[tor-relays] OrPort self-testing sometimes fails

Ryan Getz ryan2 at getzmail.com
Fri Nov 21 21:08:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014, at 09:18 AM, Julien ROBIN wrote:
<snip>
> I would like to know how does the test works, in order to check what can
> fail during the test.
> If my server's IP (95.130.9.190) is not reachable by a part of the
> Internet for example, in order to open a support ticket with my ISP (do
> you know how I can easily check it ?).
<snip>

I cannot comment on how the test is performed (although it may be in the
documentation) but if you are looking to test connectivity  to your ipv4
address, you could always use a Looking Glass or route server for  some
basic connectivity tests (pinging / traceroute / etc). If you do
discover an issue, it would be very beneficial to provide traceroute
data (if it's not blocked by a firewall somewhere) in *both* directions
(your server to the looking glass ip and looking glass to your server
ip)...  this helps identify any potential routing issues where
asymmetric routing may be in place.

Just search for "Looking Glass" or "route server" and you should find
many available from numerous ISPs and locations that may be helpful in
your testing. Good luck and I hope someone else is able to answer with
details regarding the testing of your relay.

Regards,
Ryan Getz