[tor-relays] Node Operators Web Of Trust

Julien ROBIN julien.robin28 at free.fr
Mon Nov 10 13:36:37 UTC 2014

Such a list could be pretty cool.

I'm interested but, we must agree on that, it probably shouldn't be used for adding privilege to people in this list. I mean, the "privilege" shouldn't empower them against Tor security, because in such a case, social engineering could create a vulnerability against the network.

Of course, every system needs sincerity, and trust, of at least few people (administrators at least). But what I'm thinking of is, for example private torrent trackers, or satellite TV cards hacking forums.
If one successfully got an invitation code, an evil attacker (looking to catch illegal downloaders or I don't know what) will finish by having an invitation code too.

At the end, I'm aware that when using Tor, my TCP/IP sessions can be seen by exit relay operators and ISPs agents. Even governments and judicature can ask an ISP for recording a targeted user's Internet connexion.
Even if the connection is https, the website to which I'm connected can see what I'm doing.
At the end, I'm thinking that, if my data through Tor is more likely to use server in the "green list", my behavior will remain the same : Tor is just hiding the originating IP address and it gives me a way to access the Internet from any country without moving out of my home.

Being a Tor Relay operator, running several Tor exits, and having been questioned by police several times, I also know that it's better for me to provide without wearing any mask (if not, it could be easy to think that there is something strange with me). And if my computers got seized they will have to prove I'm clear as drinkable water. Even if me data goes through a "green Tor list", I will not change my behavior on this point ;)