[tor-relays] Platform diversity in Tor network [was: OpenBSD doc/TUNING]

Libertas libertas at mykolab.com
Thu Nov 6 00:39:19 UTC 2014

>> My OpenBSD node is currently on 0.2.5.10.
>
> Which is from the -current ports tree. On -stable it's
> tor-0.2.4.23 but I doubt that you want to run your relay on
> -current.

Huh? I compiled it from non-port source because the port at the time
was old. For my first manual compilation, I think I was on 0.2.4.23.
I'm now on 0.2.5.10 which, if I'm not mistaken, is the most recent
stable Tor release. This was also compiled from downloaded, non-port
source.

My base and ports are on -stable, not -current.

> You're wrong because you're mistaking port and package
> (http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html).

No, I know the difference. However, the ports are compiled into the
packages, no? Are the two not maintained together? I was focusing on
the port because it's a little "upstream" of the package. Also, the
port includes the necessary system changes like adding a daemon user,
so aside from the pretty minimal compilation time, it's no different
from a package install.

> Have you only even tried to mail the maintener?

That was going to come after reading some docs on port development and
writing a patch or two. I don't like establishing contact until I have
something worthwhile to offer.

> You mean activating something which is activated by default since
> 3.8 which has been released in Nov. 2005?

You got me on this one. The below line in /etc/sysctl.conf confused me:

#vm.swapencrypt.enable=0 # 0=Do not encrypt pages that go to swap

In hindsight, it's pretty obvious.

There's no need to be so aggressive, by the way. I like the generally
friendly tone here.

Libertas