[tor-relays] [tor-talk] Platform diversity in Tor network [was: OpenBSD doc/TUNING]

Libertas libertas at mykolab.com
Wed Nov 5 20:37:36 UTC 2014

> Also, they can't buy Linux exploits?

Of course. You clipped out the part where I acknowledged this.

> I'm not sure 'rarer' and 'less expensive' go together, did you
> mean more expensive?  (I'll assume yes.)

I did in fact mean "more expensive".

> I'm confused by this - what bugs are you talking about?  The only
> bugs that 'can't be prevented by user configuration' would be in
> the networking stack. And that applies just as much to Linux as it
> does to Windows.

As you guessed, I was referring mostly to networking stack bugs. It
does apply to all networked OSs, but I've generally been told that
Microsoft has had a worse history of this, and that it's made even
worse by the lack of open source code. As you pointed out, maybe that
was mistaken.

I think that a lot of the publicity of Linux bugs is because of how
much of the Internet runs on it. Based on the government surveillance
documents I've read, it seems that they have a very easy time getting
access to Windows servers, and that they have a big corporate pipeline
for Windows exploits. I've also read that Windows is the primary
target of exploit markets, whereas Linux exploits tend to be much more
publicly documented or high-profile (NSA trade secrets, etc.). The
second tier of hackers (non-Five Eyes governments and big commercial
blackhats) are probably the biggest threat to Tor relays, and they
seem to have more access to Windows exploits than Linux exploits.

I don't have enough knowledge or experience to comment on this much
more. I will point out, however, that I'm promoting OpenBSD rather
than Linux as an alternative. I think almost no one would argue that
Windows is more secure than OpenBSD for this sort of application. I
suspect most would side with Linux over Windows as well.

> I think it is more secure than you think.

Fair point, I think you're right.

Libertas