[tor-relays] Platform diversity in Tor network [was: OpenBSD doc/TUNING]

Libertas libertas at mykolab.com
Wed Nov 5 20:17:29 UTC 2014

I don't want to spam this list with OS discussion, but I think yours
is an important point, so I'll give my perspective briefly.

This is one of the main aspects of OpenBSD that make it better suited
for firewalls etc. than for desktops. One of the main tenets of
OpenBSD is "secure by default". There have only been two remote holes
in the default install in the last seventeen or so years, so there
generally isn't a serious need for base updates. Keeping up with the
occasional patches is a good idea, which is done manually by default.
This generally takes a file download and about three copied-and-pasted
commands. The announce mailing list lets you know about these, and
there are scripts to apply them automatically.

If you're running a Tor relay,, Tor might be the only thing you
install. I also have Vim, SSHGuard, and possibly a library or two for
Arm, but that's it. Hopefully, all relay operators keep up with the
Tor community enough to stay on a supported version, if not the newest
one. The updates are rare enough that I haven't found manual
compilation an issue. My OpenBSD node is currently on 0.2.5.10.

If compilation is considered tedious, though, I or someone like me
could start more aggressively maintaining the Tor port. I was actually
considering this recently, although I have no prior experience with
port development. There are almost 9,000 ports, and they're only
updated as quickly as they're developed.

Libertas