[tor-relays] Platform diversity in Tor network [was: OpenBSD doc/TUNING]

Libertas libertas at mykolab.com
Wed Nov 5 19:04:43 UTC 2014

It's a little bit of both. The OpenBSD port and package of Tor were
out of date last time I checked, so the first difference is that you
want to build from source. If you do so, though, you have to make the
unprivileged user yourself. This is covered in _Absolute OpenBSD 2nd
Ed._ and on the web. It's a technique that OpenBSD popularized, so
it's easy to do.

The general sysadmin experience with OpenBSD involves more manual
config file editing and man page reading, as I've mentioned
previously. Some things (like having tons of open files) have to be
enabled by default, as they're a complication and a potential security
risk. However, most users find it very convenient and elegant in the
long run.

Another example that I forgot to mention earlier: encrypting swap on
Debian or Ubuntu involves apt-getting and such. On OpenBSD, it
involves changing two characters of /etc/sysctl.conf.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, so I'll leave most of the specifics
out. Also, the beginning of _Absolute OpenBSD 2nd Ed._ explains the
differences better than I can.

Libertas