[tor-relays] Platform diversity in Tor network [was: OpenBSD doc/TUNING]

Zack Weinberg zackw at cmu.edu
Wed Nov 5 17:07:37 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Niklas Kielblock <niklas at spiderschwe.in> wrote:
> Is there much of a difference between setting up Tor on OpenBSD
> vs. Linux or other Unix(like) systems?
>
> Or is this just about setting up OpenBSD in general, or additional security
> for relays (disk encryption, memory protection) whose use isn't common
> on most general servers?

Well, the thing *I* don't feel I have the least idea even where to
begin with, with *BSD in general, is reliable automatic installation
of security updates for both the base system and the ports.  I can
figure everything else out once and write it into /etc and be done
with it.  But if I have to manually monitor for bug fixes in all the
installed software, and manually update local source code copies and
recompile every time, well, that's three chores that computers are
better at than I am.

(Actually, the ports system has blown up in my face often enough that
I'm convinced it has fundamental design flaws -- and this was in the
much less demanding environment of a development VM.  I would be much
more comfortable with a BSD that accepted the maxim that there can be
only one package manager and nothing may escape its gaze.)

zw