[tor-relays] [tor-talk] Platform diversity in Tor network [was: OpenBSD doc/TUNING]

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Wed Nov 5 16:15:48 UTC 2014

On 5 November 2014 03:04, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Libertas <libertas at mykolab.com> wrote:
>> I think it would be a good idea to add OpenBSD to doc/TUNING because [...]
>> promoting OpenBSD relays benefits the Tor network's security.
>
> Absolutely. Not just due to OpenBSD's security positioning, but
> moreso from network diversity. Windows is its own world.

I tried installing OpenBSD once... it was tough, heh.

Coming from a Windows background, I like the idea of running more
nodes on (up-to-date, maintained) Windows servers.

I'll also throw out the obvious that if we're talking about diversity
for the purposes of security, the network-accessible parts of tor rely
on OpenSSL, which would probably be difficult to swap out, but might
be worth it as an experiment.  Even if it's to LibreSSL.  Maybe the
zlib library also, but that one's had a lot fewer problems than
OpenSSL.

-tom