[tor-relays] Platform diversity in Tor network [was: OpenBSD doc/TUNING]

Libertas libertas at mykolab.com
Wed Nov 5 15:35:01 UTC 2014

Agreed. Thanks for pulling together the statistics, too. However, I'd
like to make an argument for OpenBSD specifically.

I openly acknowledge that, at least for non-experts (and I'm one of
them), OpenBSD isn't ideal for many uses. It isn't used much because
of its conservative/cautious philosophy and its lack of bells and
whistles. It doesn't have the greatest hardware support, it's a little
slower than FreeBSD and Linux, and it isn't very inviting for people
that don't know at least intermediate Unix.

However, there is at least one field in which OpenBSD has a big market
share: firewalls. It's perfect for this use because of its simplicity,
its great networking software (pf, etc.) and its bulletproof
out-of-the-box security. These same features make it excellent for Tor
relays as well.

It's possible that governments like China's are trying to hack Tor
relays in an attempt to deanonymize users. It's almost definite that
malicious hackers try to break into exit nodes to troll traffic. Even
an up-to-date, hardened Linux or FreeBSD system probably can't weather
all such attacks. For such a simple, single-use, security-critical
application, something as sturdy and impenetrable as OpenBSD is the
best option.

I would love to start a larger conversation about running Tor on
OpenBSD. I've been considering making a guide describing the process.
However, that violates the OpenBSD philosophy to some extent. They
tend to only help those who help themselves - in the long term, only
those who want to learn Unix and who RTFMs continue using OpenBSD.[1]
Hopefully, though, we can spark enough interest that node operators
will take that initiative. I know there's been a lot more interest in
OpenBSD on Hacker News et al. since the surveillance revelations.

[1] I hope this doesn't sound pretentious. I recognize that a lot of
people are busy or distracted, or simply don't want to make the time
commitment. That's reasonable.

Thanks for reading another rambling email,
Libertas