[tor-relays] CMU exit node IP address will change

Zack Weinberg zackw at cmu.edu
Sun Nov 2 22:29:56 UTC 2014

CMU network operations has decided to move the Tor exit node that my
group operates (tor-exit.cylab.cmu.edu) to an isolated subnet in order
to minimize consequences for the rest of the campus network.  For
instance, apparently there have been several cases where third parties
blacklisted the entire CMU IP space in response to malicious traffic
from the exit node.  This is currently scheduled to happen Tuesday (Nov.
4).  The new IP address will be 204.194.29.4.

I'm sending this message primarily as an assertion that nothing
nefarious is going on, but also because I haven't had to change the IP
address of a running node before and I would like to ask if there's
anything in particular that should be done to minimize downtime.

Thanks,
zw