[tor-relays] Usefulness of very limited exit policy nodes?

Matt Puckey matt at puckey.org
Sat May 31 12:26:50 UTC 2014

On Sat, 31 May 2014 10:07:51 +1000
Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:

> I read a lot of the torproject.org website before running our exit
> node, and I found the issues laid out to be reasonable from my
> perspective - when we believe in something like free speech, or
> freedom of travel, some of us (like myself) feel a conscientious duty
> to take a stand to promote that which we believe in, as I did.

I 100% agree with this. But running a Tor exit node on the
only public IP address that you have, and also running your own traffic
through it doesn't sound good to me. Maybe in terms of
liability of the traffic - which traffic was Phil and which was the Tor
exit node etc? I suppose it depends on whether or not you care about
that, but law enforcement might (if that bothers people?). Maybe in
terms of services on the internet blocking Tor exit IP's e.g. Phil's
home IP address, which could be a problem, assuming it's a static IP.
If he was a relay, he wouldn't have these potential issues.

I don't think there is right answer with this. There are reasons either
way.
It all comes down to what people feel comfortable doing and their
specific situation.

> With the bandwidth level you (Matt) are suggesting

I haven't suggested any bandwidth levels. You might be referring to
Phil I suspect. :)

--Matt