[tor-relays] hardening a tor relay

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue May 27 03:18:03 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 06:30:08PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Relays need to allow connections to all outgoing ports.
>
> If you do lines like the above, your Tor relay will be unable to reach
> other Tor relays that chose port 80 or port 110 for their ORPort or
> their DirPort. (People choose those ports because some users are behind
> firewalls that only allow connections to those ports.)
>
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#OutboundPorts

If anybody is looking for a good project to get used to Stem or txtorcon
and to help out the Tor network, here's a great one: build pairwise
circuits between all relays, to see which of them can reach each other
and which can't, with the goal of understanding how far from a clique
our network topology actually is, and then helping with an awareness
campaign to correct it if it's a problem.

I've written up more details and ideas here:

--Roger