[tor-relays] DigitalOcean starting Exit node crackdown

Shawn Nock nock at aphr.asia
Thu May 15 19:25:59 UTC 2014

Jason Odoom <jasonodoom at gmail.com> writes:

> I responded assuring them I would take care of all issues. But for
> them to shut down your exit is shocking. Were there any issues that
> needed resolving that you ignored probably?

I received two complaints in the ~11 months the node has been up:

1. Someone upset about a http 'DDoS' attack who spammed the netblock
   owners of all traffic detected during the attack interval. It was
   mentioned on this list, a lot of exits got abuse complaints that
   day. I removed the complainers netblock from my ExitPolicy and said
   'Sorry, it's Tor!' to the complainant (who was a tool). Ticket
   resolved in <2 hours.

2. DO does a periodic scan of it's netblocks against DroneBL
   (aparently). My exit turned up as 'compromised' one day for, as it
   turned out, connecting to Efnet... something about command and
   control for botnet, blah, blah. DO responded favorably to my
   explanation of the problem, ticket resolved <4 hours. Later DroneBL
   granted my removal request, but I assume my node'll show up again if
   anyone connects to Efnet via my exit.

So no unhandled complaints. I don't know why they opened the ticket
today. Maybe just funzies? Their policy page still doesn't outlaw Tor
exit nodes...

I've written a fair number of appeals to save exit nodes now; DO is the
only reasonable response I've ever received from an ISP. Frankly, I am
floored.

--
Shawn Nock (OpenPGP: 0x6FDA11EE 3BC412E3)