[tor-relays] DigitalOcean starting Exit node crackdown

Jason Odoom jasonodoom at gmail.com
Thu May 15 18:59:56 UTC 2014

Hi Shawn,

 I also run an exit on DO's infrastructure and have been for the past six
months. I have received some complaints as well. Besides the usual
blacklisting, DO support has contacted me twice about my exit which I've
had to explain as well:

My email is not relevant to this IP address. There is no information in the
whois that identifies me. However, I am the owner and operator of
xxx.xxx.xxx. If you access that IP directly you can see that it is a Tor
Exit Router.

ln which I received the response:

We strongly recommend against running tor exit nodes on our droplets for
this reason. Please be aware that you are responsible for any abuse
generated from your droplet including that that comes across the Tor exit
node you are running. Failure to resolve these issues could result in
account suspension.

l responded assuring them I would take care of all issues. But for them to
shut down your exit is shocking. Were there any issues that needed
resolving that you ignored probably?

Regards,

Jason