[tor-relays] How to handle an abuse report

Ch'Gans chgans at gna.org
Wed May 14 10:08:47 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Since 3 weeks, I'm running a TOR exit node [1] on a server I rent from
Hetzner (A German hosting company), after reading about using Hetzner to
run a TOR node, I decided to go for the "restricted" mode to avoid any
stupid copywrong issue (That is, I allowed only a limited set of ports,
which sadly excludes p2p).

Everything went well so far, until today. Someone, let's call this
person/group "A", reported an abuse to Hetzner. A TOR User, "B", is
spamming chat/forums with vociferous insults and disrespectful messages,
I got a copy of few of them and the insults from B are as bad as the
ideas defended by A, but I'm not here to judge anyone...

 From A's timezone, it happened from the 9th of May, 8:20PM to the 10th
of May, 2:30 AM. Given the nature of the TOR network, I assumed that it
is very unlikely that stupid-B will use my server's IP to insult
stupid-A any time soon... or is it?

Now, I have to report to Hetzner, I will tell them that I'm running a
TOR exit node in "restricted" mode, but how can I defend myself, I am
not sure that my "restricted node" and "given the nature of the TOR
network" arguments will convinced them the Hetzner dudes.

Could anyone gives advice, feedback or stories on how to deal with this
situation?

Best regards,
Chris

[1]