[tor-relays] SSH scans from Tor exit

krishna e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca
Thu May 1 02:04:28 UTC 2014

On 14-04-30 02:14 PM, Delton Barnes wrote:
> It is a bit cynical or defeatist, I think, to say "There are a lot of
> these attacks, so administrators should have to just accept them."  If
> you see someone attempting to break into cars, do you report it, or do
> you say "There are so many car thefts in the world, what's the point?"

On the internet there is no way of "seeing" that a digital abode is
abandoned or open or broken except to try entering, thus trying is
simply the act of observing and exploring the digital wilderness.  If no
one else is prevented from using the connection, wheres the harm?  If
you dont want randoms entering your space, close the port or ensure the
locks are functional!

Treating all Tor nodes as suspect because of some SSH probes is akin to
racial profiling after seeing certain (ethnic/whatever) people looking
at your car/house/etc.  Maybe they are undercover police. Maybe they are
admiring it or thinking about buying one of their own - why should you
presume their purpose until they actually break or take something?