[tor-relays] Port 8118 Traffic?

Kostas Jakeliunas kostas at jakeliunas.com
Tue Mar 25 02:02:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 3:45 AM, Geoff Down <geoffdown at fastmail.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014, at 12:55 AM, Dennis Crawford wrote:
> > Hello -
> >

> > I just recently installed a Tor Relay and now I'm seeing a TON of port
> > 8118
> > denied requests in my log.
> > Am I doing something wrong?
>
> No, someone out there is sniffing relays for open HTTP proxies - you'll
> find it mentioned in the list archives. If it concerns you, you can
> report it to the originating network, but if your firewall is doing its
> job....

Furthermore, this relay is also advertising itself as an exit node, and the
network thinks that it can be used as one:
https://globe.torproject.org/#/relay/541D0AEF5BCA6F2D6285FEC2CF8E87AE9F8771A6(note
the exit policy and the Exit flag.)

Since the intention (as i understand) is not to have it be an actual exit
node, better to have this in the torrc:

ExitPolicy reject *:*

--

Kostas.