[tor-relays] Advise on fully using a gigabit connection

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Wed Mar 5 20:29:24 UTC 2014

On 03/05/2014 05:51 PM, Jesse Victors wrote:
> Hey everyone. I manage an exit at a university

Excellent! Thanks! :)

>, and I recently moved it
> to a gigabit connection. I did some tests and the machine does appear to
> be capable of fully using the available bandwidth. Besides getting two
> Tor instances

You need more than two. If your CPU supports AES-NI, you will roughly
need one Tor process per 300-400 Mbps. If you don't have AES-NI, one CPU
core (one Tor process) will be maxed out at around 100 Mbps.

Per 2 instances, you need one IP.

> I set my average and burst bandwidth limits to the
> maximum upload speed I have been able to achieve in my tests, is that an
> ideal setting? Please advise.

It takes some weeks for your relay to actually attract enough traffic.
Monitor CPU usage closely, and limit bandwidth speed accordingly before
you hit 100% CPU on one core (htop). Other than that, you can go as high
as possible.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/