[tor-relays] tor-relays Digest, Vol 38, Issue 6

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Wed Mar 5 10:09:24 UTC 2014

On 03/05/2014 10:47 AM, herojideani at live.com wrote:
> PLS how does relay work and how can I set up my system to work with relay

To relay (forward) traffic for other users, you will have to configure
your system to receive incoming traffic on one port of your choice. This
usually means setting up port forwarding on your router.

Then, locally, if you run Windows, you can use the Vidalia Relay bundles
from the download page: https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en

Be careful: If you allow Tor users to "exit" from your relay, this means
that your computer will not only forward Tor traffic, but also allow
people to use your relay to access Internet resources. For the resource
accessed, it looks like the request is coming from you. Some Tor users
abuse the system of anonymity, and you will have to explain why it
wasn't you. So, in short, people who allow exiting must know what
they're doing.

The manuals linked on the left of
https://www.torproject.org/docs/manual.html.en have some more detail.

--