[tor-relays] Single IP multiple OR Ports

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Tue Mar 4 08:10:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 03/04/2014 08:19 AM, toxi roxi wrote:
> With an upgrade to ubuntu 13.10 x64 there seem to be no more support for
> aesni module - so it doesnt seem to be usable any more. With older
> ubuntu releases it works.

https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#aes-ni_crypto_acceleration

Does this help already?

> I've recognized that some configurations are running easily with an
> higher throughput - but could not figure out whats the reason for it.
> My VPS'es are almost running in an KVM environment - but the 2 fastest
> ones running on OpenVZ hypervisor.

I tried KVM and OpenVZ some years ago for high bandwidth relays, and
couldn't get it to make decent throughput at all. I now run all our fast
relays "on bare metal".

> But anyway im interested on reactivating that function as it seems to
> really speedup relay's speed.

Unless you max out /all/ your CPU cores, you can and should simply spin
up more Tor processes in parallel, one per CPU core, and limit their
bandwidth so they never hit 100% CPU usage.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/