[tor-relays] is comcast throttling relays?

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Mar 1 09:49:58 UTC 2014

On 3/1/14, Steve Rich <steve.rich.dev at outlook.com> wrote:
> The question I have now however is, should I set my RelayBandwidth limit to
> 250k?
> Currently the advertised bandwidth is 1MB/s, which doesn't see right.

As with bittorrent, it appears somewhat important to set your
bandwidth, in particular burst bandwidth (the higher of the two), to
some figure below your maximum physical (achieved not ISP advertised)
bandwidth. I think.

The reason is that if outgoing gets saturated, this can cause problems
for various control packets, and for me was causing up to 15s
heartbeat timeouts - I still haven't solved the "unresponsive"
ARM_NOTICE messages though - here's an example:
20:30:18 [ARM_NOTICE] Relay unresponsive (last heartbeat: Sat Mar  1
20:30:06 2014)

Good luck
Zenaan