[tor-relays] Circuit purposes

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Sat Jun 28 18:32:33 UTC 2014

Hi Joel. Where are you getting "Purpose:
Ags=is_internal,need_capacity," from? Those values are build flags
rather than purposes...

https://stem.torproject.org/api/control.html#stem.CircBuildFlag

Stem should presently document all the values tor can give - all that
notice is just letting you know tor reserves the right to add new
ones.

As for having circuits, tor constructs circuits on occasion for
several purposes such as fetching descriptor data. When you first
start tor it constructs some circuits optimistically in case you use
it as a client, but those circuits eventually die off if unused. I'm
not sure if setting SocksPort to zero prevents optimistic circuit
construction (though seems it should since they're then unusable).

Cheers! -Damian