[tor-relays] Bridge still advertising removed pluggable transport?

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Sat Jun 28 11:17:39 UTC 2014

Rick Huebner <rhuebner at radiks.net> writes:

> Hi. I removed the recently-deprecated obfs2 transport from my
> (0.2.4.22) bridge's torrc, but after restarting, it seems to still be
> advertising support for it.
>
> It correctly doesn't appear as a "Registered server transport obfs2"
> line in the tor log file, and it's not listed in the
> TOR_PT_SERVER_TRANSPORTS or TOR_PT_SERVER_BINDADDR env vars fed to
> obfsproxy, nor is obfsproxy listening at the port that was formerly
> used for obfs2 any more. But... it's still listed in a "TransportProxy
> obfs2" line in the tor state file after several hours, and is still
> showing up as a supported transport in my bridge's details page on
> globe.torproject.org.

Greetings Rick,

I wouldn't worry too much about the TransportProxy line in your state
file. That line is there in case you ever decide to start up an obfs2
listener ever again: it has noted down the IP:PORT it used to use, so
that it binds in the same address the next time you start it up (which
in your case is 'never').

However, the fact that obfs2 still appears in your bridge's page in
globe.torproject.org is more troubling. Is it still there? If yes, how
did you deprecate obfs2? Did you restart Tor or did you do a SIGHUP?

Feel free to send me a private mail with your IP:PORT and I can try to
look into this (see if your bridge is still advertising obfs2 support
to the bridge authority).

Cheers!