[tor-relays] Circuit purposes

Joel Cretan jcretan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 04:50:36 UTC 2014

I'm running a relay that I do not intend to use for anything else, so I set
SocksPort to 0. I usually have two or three circuits established anyway,
though, so I guess I haven't managed to disable creating those. I'm not
sure what they are for. They are always labeled "Purpose:
Ags=is_internal,need_capacity,". Several of them seem to get created around
the same time, stay open for a while, and then get closed around the same
time.

I see some other circuit purposes documented here:
https://stem.torproject.org/api/control.html
But that documentation indicates that "Tor may provide purposes not in this
enum", which is the case here. What are these circuits for, and do I need
them?

Here's my torrc: http://pastebin.com/fuQv8B2m
Here's my ifconfig output: http://pastebin.com/mxMkhbMj
I'm running tor 0.2.4.22 compiled from source (did not specify any options
on make) on raspbian wheezy June 2014 with kernel version 3.12.20+.

Thanks,
Joel