[tor-relays] bitcoin adopt a node idea

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Thu Jun 26 12:06:35 UTC 2014

On 06/26/2014 09:33 AM, Jurre van Bergen wrote:
> Hoi,
>
> At hartvoorinternetvrijheid.nl we have been toying with the exact same
> idea and I think Moritz had the same idea too. Cheap crowd sponsored
> relays are interesting for several reasons, you feel part of the process
> as a donator. Next to the fact that, at least we came up with that, that
> you get statistics of how many people you have helped on to the Tor
> network, with maybe a few links to relevant censorship news around the
> world. The donor feels warm from the inside and we get to grow the Tor
> network.
>
> There is work to be done on this, but there is also already work done on
> this, I guess we just need someone to coordinate all of this.

Yes, this was one of the ideas I had when I started torservers.net. The
quick way was to offer "your own relay" (relay nickname, custom DNS,
custom page on IP:80), which we offered from the beginning. Of course it
would be nice(r) to have a user interface where you can "spin up your
own relay", watch fancy statistics etc -- especially interesting for
bridges, where you can now display where the actual users of the bridge
came from using OnionOO. My idea was to still run dedicated Gbit/s exit
relays, because it is the cheapest "bang for buck", but tune down the
fast "unassigned" exit relay and spin up a new instance on a separate IP
whenever a user joins the club.

The natural thing to combine this with would be a billboard where you
can compete with other relay operators, reach GruntMaster 6000 level etc.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/