[tor-relays] Need help to get TorDNSEL compiled

BlueStar88 bluestar88 at xenobite.eu
Thu Jun 26 11:51:45 UTC 2014

Hey there,

this is addressed to the operators of the exitlist nameserver [1] at 'exitlist.torproject.org':

After more than one year (referring to the start of this thread) I made another try today to get that TorDNSEL thing compiled, but no success, still the same errors. I'm now using GHC 7.6.3-10 and the current source code from git repo.

Some days ago I hardened the torcheck-page at 'torcheck.xenobite.eu' using DNSSEC and DANE. But this makes only the half way sense, if the input information it gets from 'exitlist.torproject.org' wasn't securely transferred in the first place.

Since there's probably no way to get the exitlist subdomain (and the dynamic data below) served securely using DNSSEC, I'm again at the point to get TorDNSEL running on the checking host itself, or nearby.

The xenobite-check-page has 400-500 requests per hour, so there's at least some demand worth for improving this and I really like to do so.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me!

---
$ ./Setup.lhs configure
Configuring TorDNSEL-0.1.1...
Warning: Instead of 'ghc-options: -DVERSION="0.1.1-dev"' use 'cpp-options:
-DVERSION="0.1.1-dev"'
$ ./Setup.lhs build
Building TorDNSEL-0.1.1...
Preprocessing executable 'tordnsel' for TorDNSEL-0.1.1...

src/TorDNSEL/Statistics/Internals.hs:2:16: Warning:
    -fglasgow-exts is deprecated: Use individual extensions instead

<no location info>:
Failing due to -Werror.
---

(removed option -Werror)

---
$
./Setup.lhs build
./tordnsel.cabal has been changed. Re-configuring with most recently used
options. If this fails, please run configure manually.
Configuring TorDNSEL-0.1.1...
Warning: Instead of 'ghc-options: -DVERSION="0.1.1-dev"' use 'cpp-options:
-DVERSION="0.1.1-dev"'
Building TorDNSEL-0.1.1...
Preprocessing executable 'tordnsel' for TorDNSEL-0.1.1...

src/TorDNSEL/Statistics/Internals.hs:2:16: Warning:
    -fglasgow-exts is deprecated: Use individual extensions instead

src/TorDNSEL/System/Timeout.hs:1:12: Warning:
    -fglasgow-exts is deprecated: Use individual extensions instead

src/TorDNSEL/TorControl/Internals.hs:4:16: Warning:
    -fglasgow-exts is deprecated: Use individual extensions instead

src/TorDNSEL/ExitTest/Initiator/Internals.hs:2:16: Warning:
    -fglasgow-exts is deprecated: Use individual extensions instead
[ 1 of 39] Compiling TorDNSEL.DistinctQueue ( src/TorDNSEL/DistinctQueue.hs, dist/build/tordnsel/tordnsel-tmp/TorDNSEL/DistinctQueue.o )
[ 2 of 39] Compiling TorDNSEL.DeepSeq ( src/TorDNSEL/DeepSeq.hs, dist/build/tordnsel/tordnsel-tmp/TorDNSEL/DeepSeq.o )
[ 3 of 39] Compiling TorDNSEL.Compat.Exception ( src/TorDNSEL/Compat/Exception.hs, dist/build/tordnsel/tordnsel-tmp/TorDNSEL/Compat/Exception.o )
[ 4 of 39] Compiling TorDNSEL.Util    ( dist/build/tordnsel/tordnsel-tmp/TorDNSEL/Util.hs, dist/build/tordnsel/tordnsel-tmp/TorDNSEL/Util.o )

src/TorDNSEL/Util.hsc:143:24:
    Module `GHC.Handle' does not export `fillReadBuffer'

src/TorDNSEL/Util.hsc:143:40:
    Module `GHC.Handle' does not export `readCharFromBuffer'

src/TorDNSEL/Util.hsc:145:27:
    Module `GHC.IOBase' does not export `Buffer(..)'
---

Regards

BlueStar88