[tor-relays] Bridge still advertising removed pluggable transport?

Rick Huebner rhuebner at radiks.net
Mon Jun 23 08:49:43 UTC 2014

Hi. I removed the recently-deprecated obfs2 transport from my (0.2.4.22)
bridge's torrc, but after restarting, it seems to still be advertising
support for it.

It correctly doesn't appear as a "Registered server transport obfs2"
line in the tor log file, and it's not listed in the
TOR_PT_SERVER_TRANSPORTS or TOR_PT_SERVER_BINDADDR env vars fed to
obfsproxy, nor is obfsproxy listening at the port that was formerly used
for obfs2 any more. But... it's still listed in a "TransportProxy obfs2"
line in the tor state file after several hours, and is still showing up
as a supported transport in my bridge's details page on
globe.torproject.org.

It seems like that would mean it's still being handed out as a working
bridge by BridgeDB for those requesting obfs2 bridges, though that port
and transport will never be up again. And it might trigger mistaken
"bridge is down" or "destination is censored" signals from those
attempting to monitor such things. Is there something else I need to do
besides dropping obfs2 from the torrc ServerTransportPlugin line, or is
this just a bug? If so, it'll be showing up a lot more as obfs2 is
phased out.

Thanks.