[tor-relays] Lost hsdir flag

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 19:08:46 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 07:46:54PM +0100, kingqueen wrote:
> hello,
>
> I don't know why, my relay nicknamed kingqueenbtnftw used to have the
> hsdir flag but now doesn't.
>
> I think from what I can gather, hsdir is based purely on the time
> since last boot / restart Tor service, rather than how long the relay
> has been up in total? That would explain it.

Hi kingqueen,

Yup, you are correct. The flag is assigned based on the current uptime
of the relay[0].

   "HSDir" -- A router is a v2 hidden service directory if it stores and
   serves v2 hidden service descriptors, and the authority believes that
   it's been up for at least 25 hours (or the current value of
   MinUptimeHidServDirectoryV2).

I see your relay was recently restarted, so that does explain why it
lost the flag.

Thanks for running a relay!

[0]
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/dir-spec.txt#l1877