[tor-relays] Tor-relay - IP

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 18 18:31:52 UTC 2014

18.06.2014 17:54, Rui Branco:
> hello,
> I'm a new user of the Tor-relay and I have many doubts. Sorry about that.

Are a new user of the Tor-network or do you run a relay, yourself?

You can read the FAQ about your concerns and voice your remaining questions.

> In the atlas project why the tor-relays ip are discovered? isn't it
> dangerous?

This is how Tor works. Every client has to know about every relay. Every
relay has to know about every other relay. Authorities create and
publish a (network-)consensus containing all running relays, including
their IP-address(es).

For censored users there are bridges and pluggable transports. For
relays it hasn't been considered dangerous to publish information about
them, even if those information are on a public website.

Regards,
Sebastian G. (bastik)