[tor-relays] Operating system diversity?

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Tue Jun 17 14:38:18 UTC 2014

Hi All,

In the recent thread relating to Debian relay Puppet modules it was
suggested that a greater diversity of operating systems in tor nodes
wooudl be preferable.

I'm not sure if this was meant as a technical or aesthetic preference,
but I am curious.  Is there any technical benefit to rounning a more
diverse set of opensource oprating systems for tor nodes? I discount
closed source as we don't know what's going on in there.

Would that present significantly different attack surfaces? I can
imagine a vulnerability in the TCP stack or other kernel functionality
in Linux would not be the saem in FreeBSD or vice versa...

My nodes are currently Ubuntu but if there's a reason to do so I
coould possibly switch OS to FreeBSD (or hurd does tor run on hurd :))

-Jon